Pages

Saturday 25 August 2012

Kaiju Toy Review - X-Plus Toho Large Monsters Series Mothra (Adult) 1961

This figure was my birthday present to myself!

I picked this figure up from the post office earlier today. It came in a pretty big box, and I was nearly unable to fit it into my car!


When I returned home, I opened this baby up! Mothra's box is white and features a black and white print of Mothra on the box's cover as seen above. It's a pretty sizable box at around two and a half feet in length and at least a foot and a half in height. 


Upon taking the figure out of the box, there are three pieces. There is the main figure itself, a metal rod, and a vinyl base mean't to represent a mound with Mothra's sacred symbol carved into it. For those interested in getting this figure, be wary that some work must go into posing Mothra on the metal rod. The socket for where the rod is inserted on the figure is closed and requires you to actually pierce a hole through the vinyl. For this I used a screwdriver and a hairdryer to soften the vinyl. It took me some time to make the hole big enough for the rod to fit. Once I was able to get it all put together, Mothra is one neat looking figure! Even though this was made for the Toho Large Monsters series of figures which range in the 25cm scale, this figure could easily be a part of the 30cm series as well. The wingspan for this figure is over two feet wide. The detailing is just outstanding as usual with X-Plus' figures. I originally wanted Mothra to have her own shelf, but seeing how the Toho Large Monsters Series MechaGodzilla and Gigan display well alongside her, I kept the display as seen above.

Overall, I am giving this figure a 4.5 out of 5 score. Everything about this figure is pretty great, and is hands down the best Mothra figure in my collection. The only downside was actually having to pierce through the sculpt in order to insert the metal rod. However despite that, the figure is one hell of a display piece, and a grand centerpiece for my collection. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! Very helpful. Hard to get info on this figure. I think I'll hunt it down. What size are the MG and Gigan in that photo? 25cm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the MechaGodzilla and Gigan in that photo are 25cm tall. I absolutely love this figure. However the massive wingspan does take up a bit of shelf space. Regardless, it is one of the best Mothra figures out there. Good luck hunting one down. You won't regret it. :D

      Delete