Pages

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Kaiju Toy Review - X-Plus Toho 30cm Series Varan

I always get so giddy whenever I get an X-Plus figure. It always makes me want to sing:


And with the X-Plus 30cm Varan, I've had quite to be excited about.


I picked this up earlier today, along with the rest of my X-Plus figures that I've shipped from my parents' place that also arrived today. I've said it once, and I'll say it again - X-Plus' boxes for the 30cm figures are simply attractive in appearance and evoke a hobby-like tone. I don't know why, but I just love them. 


Don't be quick to judge the figure by the photos though - since I was using the flash. Varan, in person, looks amazing! You'd never think he was sculpted in vinyl. He looks as if he was a statue. The figure stands over a foot tall, and fits in scale with my 30cm Godzilla 1989 and Rodan 1964. The detailing is pretty great too. The armor on the back is very well sculpted, and the one aspect that I give kudos to X-Plus for are the translucent spikes running from the head to the end of its tail. They're sculpted out of a more rubbery-kind of material, definitely not vinyl. They're pretty flexible too. 


Overall, the X-Plus 30cm Varan is a really neat figure, and I think one of X-Plus' best in the 30cm line. Apparently a figure of Varan is to be released in the Toho Large Monsters Series as well, but I will be passing on that one since I have this one. My ultimate rating is a 4.5/5. This figure is really great, and a must for anyone who collects X-Plus' figures. 



2 comments:

  1. Great review and congrats on your purchase! I always admire X-Plus figures for having great details and awesome paint jobs. As much as I'd like to keep up with a few figures from this line, I cannot afford them. At least I was able to buy Manda from the Ultra-Q series, which was something I wanted for a long time. Varan is also on my want list and hopefully I'll buy him sometime later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. X-Plus do have great figures, and Varan's one of the greats in my opinion.
      However, they do have their flaws. For example, right now, the 30cm Rodan '64 is becoming my least favorite X-Plus figure because its sculpt is so flawed. Not in design purposes, but balancing purposes. Several times it has fallen off the shelf, gaining paint scuffs here and there. I tried putting putty on its feet to keep it from falling, but yet again, it fell. So this morning I decided to just put it back into its box. I may sell it to someone who doesn't mind the minor paint scratches sometime in the near future. I've learned my lesson - never buy another figure of Rodan from X-Plus! I certainly do have buyer's remorse with that figure, especially at $200! And it does impact me from continuing on buying from the 30cm line. They cost so darn much, and the slightest damage could ruin its value - which is why I boxed up Rodan to prevent it from damaging even further. After this month's Titanosaurus, I'm done with the 30cm line for good. Besides Rodan, Godzilla '89, and Varan are just marvelous, and don't have any flaws in their sculpts.

      I've already reserved myself the 25cm Godzilla '68 and Anguirus '68 that are coming out this September, so I'm really looking forward to those.

      Delete