Pages

Friday 3 August 2012

Kaiju Toy Review - X-Plus Toho Large Monsters Series MechaGodzilla 1974

Here is another figure that was waiting for me upon my return home from vacation.

This is the X-Plus Toho Large Monsters Series MechaGodzilla 1974.



This figure arrived shortly after I left for my trip back in May actually. Prior to buying the figure, I've read many reviews for the figure. People have often said it wasn't the best sculpt in the line. While it isn't the best, it's not one of the worst. I prefer it a lot more than the 30 cm version, which requires a base to hold it in place. While I am not opposed to the use of a base, I am happy enough that the Toho Large Monsters Series version doesn't need a base to support it.

The box it came in is no different than that of any other figure in this line. I just wished that the box were a bit smaller though since the figure comes in one piece, and is smaller than other figures in the line. Despite that, upon taking it out, I noticed the great amount of detail on the figure. The wrinkles, a detail that collectors seem to complain about, are quite neat in my opinion. They give it that appearance from the suit used in the film, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (1974).


There are actually several points of articulation with this figure - the jaw, neck, shoulders, wrists, waist, and feet. There is also a section in his chest that opens that reveals the mech's laser beam. The inclusion of these points of articulation allow me to have some creative freedom in how this figure is displayed. However, I have to admit, I prefer the more classic museum poses when displaying figures. 

Overall, the X-Plus Toho Large Monsters Series MechaGodzilla 1974 figure is pretty neat. It isn't the best X-Plus figure so far, but neat nonetheless. It sits well alongside my X-Plus Toho Large Monsters Series Gigan. I'll be keeping this review short and give this figure a rating of 4/5. The figure is pretty neat, and the points of articulation are a nice addition, a change from the statuesque X-Plus figures of the 30cm line.  This, and the 30cm Varan and Titanosaurus (coming out next month), will be my last X-Plus figures indefinitely. 

1 comment:

  1. My buddy KAIJU-Q (from my forum over at The Kaiju Korner) has this one in his collection, I have been able to mess around with it and I agree, the detail is great. it's a nice piece that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete