Pages

Thursday 31 May 2012

Kaiju Toy Review - S.H. MonsterArts Mogera

Ok, with these figure reviews, I am going to try something different. Each section will follow the photos. So without any further statements, here we go!


I got this figure today in the mail while I was at work. Much to my surprise, the box was heavier than I anticipated. However that aspect was not a disappointed for I do prefer the more chunkier and heavy figures. I finally got to open the figure once I got home. So let's take a look at that...



Upon taking Mogera out of its box, I could not help but notice that it has more diecast parts than the S.H. MonsterArts MechaGodzilla. There are metal parts in the arms, legs, and feet. This makes the figure heavier than usual, as I mentioned a little earlier. My first impression was a positive one though. This figure catches every bit of detail that Mogera had in the film. I found it to be a better figure than MechaGodzilla (well... minus the Garuda).  


The first accessory that I put on was Mogera's alternate spiral grenade launchers, which have articulation unlike the pair that it comes with. They're pretty neat and add to the display of the figure. 


The next effect part that I put on was Mogera's Plasma Cannon. It resembles a Maser Cannon in a way, which I hardly noticed when watching Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla. I really applaud Tamashii Nations' innovative way to input and remove this part. Just open Mogera's back and press on the button until the cannon or chest piece pops out. 



With the Plasma Cannon already in place, I had to check out the Plasma Cannon effect beam. While it's neat, it's nothing new. For me it's essentially a rehashed version of MechaGodzilla's Mega Buster beam effect. 


Now this has to be my most favorite effect part to come with this figure! Mogera's Spiral Grenade missile launch effect. The effect part is so big that my camera doesn't know where to focus! The effect stands are tiny buildings and intersections. It's actually really neat. I was not too thrilled about it when I saw the pictures, but in person that's a different story. It gives the figure some scale. 



I still have to display Mogera in his flying mode, but the sides of his hips - were the wings go - are so hard to take out that I'm afraid that I'm going to break it. As far as articulation goes, I think it was a bit overrated in the early reviews. It's not as dynamic as I was led to believe, but that's not much of an issue for me. Anyways, Mogera is a really neat figure and a nice addition to the S.H. MonsterArts line. Never I expected that Mogera would get such a great figure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment