Pages

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Kaiju Comic Review - Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters Volume 3

Granted, IDW's Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters may have not been the greatest comic series ever, but it is still a fun read nonetheless, and quite enjoyable.

Volume 3 consists of the last four issues of the series. It mainly focusses on Steven Wood's character battling Anguirus and eventually Godzilla with MechaGodzilla which he hijacked earlier in the series. I understand why most people would look down on this series when reading individual issues, however I feel the series does some slight justice for itself when read as a Trade Paperback. However, it is still not 'Pulitzer' material that's for sure. It fails at various points and character development still remains at a low point. The story essentially relies on the monster battles to draw on making this book somewhat a quick read.

The artwork for me is very uneven. However I'm not as intolerant of it as others are... I've seen far worse. But I wouldn't even call the artwork really bad to begin with though. It's just the artist's style. It's not mean't for everyone, but as an artist, I understand that not everyone will agree with your style of illustrating. If the comic was in black and white, then I would've found it really intolerable, but the use of color really helps me overlook to very uneven line art.

While certainly the latter half of Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters is an improvement over the first half, it still isn't all that great. However I give them credit that the cheesy pop culture references have been taken out almost completely, and that they focus on Steven Woods despite his poor character development. Nonetheless, as I've stated, it's still an enjoyable read if you want to see giant monsters battling one another. Plus the art gallery at the end of the book, showcasing Matt Frank's Gigan, Hedorah, and SpaceGodzilla covers, and more is always a plus.

I honestly felt that the end of Kingdom of Monsters was satisfying for what the series came to be... if that makes any sense. I also wonder what IDW will do with SpaceGodzilla since he makes his first appearance in the series in the last issue...

No comments:

Post a Comment