Pages

Monday 7 May 2012

Kaiju Toy Review - Sci-Fi Revoltech Type 66 Maser Cannon

This will be my final review before I leave on vacation.

Anyways, I just came home from the Post Office with my new Sci-Fi Revoltech Type 66 Maser Cannon. This is the first time in a long time that I've bought a figure representation of any Toho weapon - the first being the Bandai Diecast Gotengo 2005 that I bought back in 2006. I scored the Maser for $20.00 off of HobbyLink Japan during their Inventory Clearance Sale the other week.

The Maser Cannon was a weapon first introduced in the 1966 Toho giant monster film, War of the Gargantuas, which was a subtle sequel to Frankenstein Conquers the World. Since that film, the Maser Cannon would go on to be featured in various Godzilla films - notably Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972). It was slightly updated for its appearance in the films Godzilla x MechaGodzilla (2002), and Godzilla x Mothra x MechaGodzilla: Tokyo SOS (2003).

The Maser Cannon itself is very neat. With its turret raised, it is at least four inches tall, while from front to back it measures approximately six to seven inches. It is very detailed, and the paint job and markings are spot on. However, much of the figure's accessories are nothing to get excited over - various gadgets and gizmos, and the maser effect part isn't as dynamic as it should be. The beam is three inches long. Personally the Maser Cannon looks best without it. The only accessory that I found actually redeeming was the miniature Gaira and Sanda (pictured) locked in battle. Sure it is not in scale with the Maser, but it's a nice addition nonetheless. Overall, despite the lack of 'dynamic' accessories with the exception of the mini Gargantuas, the Type 66 Maser Cannon was a nice buy, and worth the $20.00 I spent for it.

As I stated before, this will be my last review for a while - at least until I receive the S.H.MonsterArts Mogera in early June. I'll be heading on my summer vacation on Friday, so things will be pretty quiet around here for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment