Pages

Monday 28 May 2012

My X-Plus Challenge

Earlier my Dad and I were discussing the value of X-Plus figures while watching episodes of Storage 
Wars. Despite their steep retail price, they certainly do well when they're up for resell. If I ever chose to sell any of my X-Plus figures, I could earn double or triple of what I paid for it. 

This eventually led me to show my Dad the X-Plus Biollante. At one place I found it at $638 (that's with shipping combined) making it one of the cheapest prices I found for it. I told my Dad that Biollante would essentially be the 'Holy Grail' of X-Plus figures. 

Anyways, I ultimately made the vow that by this time next year, after I graduate from college, I'll buy myself the X-Plus Biollante as long as it's under $1000. My Dad supported this challenge having realized the true value of these figures. 

So will I be able to acquire myself an X-Plus Biollante by summer 2013?

Well... Challenge Accepted! 

3 comments:

  1. You're playing quite high here

    Considering the price for Biollante has already more than doubled it's unlikely that it will still go up even more

    A product is always as much worth as someone wants to pay for it and since it's a figure from a specific franchise there are only a few people who'd actually consider paying so much money for it.

    Also Biollante isn't as much iconic as Godzilla himself, starring only in one movie and maybe not as liked as Goji himself. The iconic factor is another thing why godzilla figures themselves are more liked than his antagonists, making it even harder to sell it again.

    Ebay prices are mostly stupid, only because they put it up for 600$ it doesn't mean someone will actually buy it.
    Its worth depends on the godzilla fanbase and the size of their wallets.

    Sure you're a collector and if you want to buy it to complete your collection then go for it, but you have to consider that you will never get the amount of money back that you spend on it.

    (on another note, the X-plus series is far from over so i wouldn't consider it the holy grail of it yet since they just started making 30cm figures)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, I don't intend on buying this item through ebay. I have other potential sources that I'm eyeing at. Ebay will be a last resort option, which I hope I don't have to use.

      Secondly, I did not say that everyone else has to refer Biollante as the 'Holy Grail' of X-Plus figures. It's essentially my 'Holy Grail' because its an item that has always been beyond my reach economically, and etc. I can always buy a new figure other than Biollante, but I'm the type of guy who eyes something and works to get it.

      Thirdly, I am aware Biollante is not as iconic as King Ghidorah or Mothra, but he is one of Godzilla's opponents that I hardly have as a figure - I only have a tiny High Grade figure of him, and I have no intention on buying the Bandai figure. Considering Biollante is one of Godzilla's most original and obscure enemies in the franchise as a whole, it just makes me want her figure a lot more.

      I fully understand that I will be paying a lot for this item, but that doesn't scare me. As you said, I'm a collector. That's why I'm saving up money for it. Heck, even I'll stop buying figures after this September in order to save up for Biollante. It may be a waste of money to one person, but for me, it means something else: a challenge. I always love a challenge, and makes the figure worth a lot more personally when you finally get it.

      Sorry if I sound a bit heated right now.

      Delete
  2. So how did this challenge go? Did you end up finding one?

    ReplyDelete