Pages

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Kaiju Comic Review - GODZILLA #1

I was not expecting much from this comic when IDW first announced that they were continuing their ongoing Godzilla series with the 'soft reboot' GODZILLA. This new series does take place within the same universe as Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters, and promises that there will be a more coherent story. I initially passed this off as a load of hooey since IDW overhyped the previous series. I did not intend on reading this series at all.

However...

Boy was I wrong!

IDW is finally learning their lesson! I really enjoyed reading GODZILLA #1. In my opinion, it had way more character development in just one character, Boxer, than any other character introduced in Kingdom of Monsters. The story briefly hints its ties to the previous series in that the monsters are all known, and have returned. Also Washington DC is still under heavy reconstruction... well, until Godzilla returns.

When I heard that Simon Gane was brought on to do the artwork, I wasn't too thrilled. I read Godzilla: Legends #2 which he illustrated, and I found his style very uninspiring. Like I mentioned about the artwork for Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters, it's the colors that give the artwork a bit of justice. While the art is still uneven, I find it way more consistent than what we got from the previous series.

Overall, I'm definitely hooked on GODZILLA. I just hope that they can maintain the great character development in the coming issues as well as include some awesome monster battles. I'm actually quite interested in seeing this rag tag team of monster Bounty Hunters led by Boxer to all come together. It's a pretty cool idea actually. I am also looking forward to the next mini series, Godzilla: Half Century War, written, illustrated and colored all by the brilliant James Stokoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment