Pages

Monday 23 July 2012

Kaiju Toy Review - S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla (Comic-Con Explosion)

Straight from the depths of the Con comes a fiery behemoth from the pits of hell!

It's the S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla (Comic-Con Explosion), the SDCC Exclusive distributed by Bluefin and Tamashii Nations.

I was actually expecting this figure to arrive tomorrow. I went out to remove my stitches from a minor surgery I had last week. After mingling with some of my former co-workers, I checked the mail to find this waiting for me! I was eager to get home and open in.


The box for this figure is completely outstanding! I just love the bust of Godzilla on the front illustrated by renowned Japanese artist, Yasushi Torisawa as well as the image on the back of the Big G rampaging through the San Diego Convention Center while hundreds of Comic-Con attendees flee for their lives below. Truly spectacular and makes this figure a lot more unique when compared to its counterparts. The box itself is quite smaller than the standard Godzilla's box. It is around the same height at the boxes for SpaceGodzilla and Mogera.


Upon taking the figure out of the box, its plastic casing is no different than that for the standard release. This figure does NOT come with any accessories whatsoever, but if one who has this figure wants to be creative, utilize the red spiral beam effect that comes with the Fire Rodan figure. I'll definitely try that once I receive Fire Rodan. 


The figure as I expected was pretty stiff in the joints upon taking it out. However after breaking it in a bit and moving the arms, knees, tail, neck, and head, I managed to pose it whatever way I want. First thing I noticed is how the articulation is a lot more flexible with this figure than the first edition Godzilla. The head can look down lower, the tail has a wider range of motion, and apparently, though I have not yet attempted this, the waist joint has been improved and can have Godzilla lean forward a bit more. I'll test this out eventually, but for now I just want to admire it. 


I really do NOT think that photos do this figure justice. The way to really admire it is to actually see it in person, and hold it in your own hands. The colors in person are a lot more richer and the detail really pops out at you! Heck, I may actually like this more than the standard Godzilla. If I were to give it a score of 1 to 5, I would give it a 4/5. Everything about this figure is just beautiful, but the one thing that sets it back, though not too much, is the fact that it does not come with accessories. However I can easily live with that. I just wanted the figure. I also have another one being sent back to my home on Guam. That one, I will be keeping in mint condition.





No comments:

Post a Comment