Pages

Wednesday 4 July 2012

Issues with Rodan

I've had this figure for well over a week now, and I never expected that I would be having issues with it.

I am unsure about other figures, but my 30cm Rodan has a bad habit of falling under its own weight. The right wing, which is also one of its points of balance besides its two feet, is what is supposed to keep the figure from tipping forward. However, I don't know whether its a temperature factor or what, but the wing bends under the figure's weight. After some time, the figure falls forward.

My Rodan was perched upon a cabinet in my room when it fell earlier. It happened at least two times already in the past week. Fortunately there was no damage to the figure with the exception of minor paint scuffs on its back. I am really upset at this flaw, and really makes me regret purchasing him. At the moment, I've stored him away in his box to avoid this happening for a third time and seriously ruining this figure!


I am asking other collectors who have this figure if they ever had this issue and what I can do to prevent it from happening again. Right now, though, I feel as if I flushed $240 down the drain. Lesson learned. I think I have a better chance hereon with the more sturdier figures such as Godzilla, Varan, and Titanosaurus. Rodan though, I am unsure of how I can display him. Hopefully other collectors can shed some light on a potential solution to this unfortunate flaw.

UPDATE:


I've been talking to other collectors, and they seem to have similar issues. There are two solutions that they enlightened me on. The first is to display Rodan behind another figure or two. In my case those two would be my X-Plus 25cm Gigan and MechaGodzilla. The other solution would to go to Home Depot and buy some putty, primarily a brand called Ticky Tack. It does not harm the figure and keeps it stable when displayed. The latter I may end up trying as soon as I return home to Guam in August.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reporting this. This guy is on my list of Wants. I keep my 30's on top of a set of bookcases so if he fell he'd have a long way to go down. Now I know to take measures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he was quite disappointing. Shame too, because he was so well sculpted and detailed (aside from the closed beak). The balancing issues with this figure as well as a bit with the 30cm Varan are why I'm done with the 30cm figures and sticking with the 25cm figures. Don't get me wrong, if there's a 30cm figure that I feel is worth getting, I'll get it, but mainly I'm just going to buy 25cm figures for now on.

      Hopefully the 25cm Rodan '64 coming out at the end of the month does not suffer the same issue that its 30cm counterpart did.

      Delete