Pages

Thursday 7 June 2012

Kaiju Toy Review - Bandai 1995 Destoroyah

Well, typically I am trying to NOT buy more of Bandai's vinyl figures ever since moving onto the more collector-worthy X-Plus figures, but since I had some credit return to spend, I decided to buy this figure. Destoroyah is a figure that I have been eyeing for quite some time. I found this one on BigBadToyStore for $40.00 so I jumped at the chance to purchase this one.

So without further ado, let's get on with this review!


I got this Destoroyah loose without its tag. The figure stands at approximately 8 inches in height from foot to the very tip of its horn. It is sculpted out of soft vinyl, contrast to the harder vinyls of figures prior to 1995. The texturing on the skin is actually pretty good when looked at up close and when touching it. 


There are a lot of things that I love about this figure, the body sculpt, detailing, and color. It's essentially one of the best Bandai vinyls of the 1990's. The only knack I have is how the wings are colored and molded. Despite my complaint, I still believe that the wings add to the figure's charm. Plus, I do not typically display Destoroyah - at least the six inch version - with its wings out. By having the wings folded, it allows the figure to be displayed without taking too much space.


While scaling isn't a big issue for me, I feel that it is something that I should still point it out. Both Destoroyah and Burning Godzilla stand at the same height - like their six inch counterparts. It's interesting to point out - as I believe other fans have as well, the six inch Burning Godzilla scales well with this figure. However since I'm selling that figure, I didn't take a photograph of it scaled with Destoroyah. So for those people who go nuts over scale, this figure may not be for you. But as far as sculpt, paint, and detailing goes, it's still a neat figure!


Overall, this has to be one of the neatest of Bandai's vinyls. It has great detail, paint, and the sculpt is pretty nice too - despite the wings. It's one of the more detailed of the standard vinyl releases right up there with the Forever Box Mecha-King Ghidorah, King Ghidorah 2002, and Gigan 2005. This bad boy plus my standard release Burning Godzilla are coming back with me to Guam this August!


No comments:

Post a Comment