Pages

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Full Puni! Zone Fighter

I'm in no way interested in this figure, but I felt it was something worth mentioning.

I was scouring the internet earlier... the Toho Kingdom Forums more accurately, and eventually came across a link that led to a picture of an upcoming figure of Zone Fighter (on the right) in the S.H. MonsterArts thread. Initially I thought that this was going to be a new addition to the said line that Tamashii Nations sprung up from out of nowhere, but alas, that isn't true.

The figure is in fact made from a company called Evolution Toy, and is the first in a new line called, Full Puni! I was actually very thankful that Zone Fighter isn't in the S.H. MonsterArts series due to my distaste in it. To know why, please continue reading.

Even from the very beginning of my fascination with Godzilla and everything that relates to it, Zone Fighter has always been Toho's cheap attempt to cash in on the success of Tsuburaya's classic Ultraman franchise. The giant alien superhero, the whacky monsters, and cheesy main characters - it's got all that Ultraman had. However the thing that Zone Fighter had that, I admit, peak my interest initially was that it featured cameos of Godzilla, Gigan, and King Ghidorah. The Big G was always seen as an ally to Zone Fighter and even helped him train. Besides that, I am not a fan of ZF, and I always have preferred Ultraman in the long run.

Ok, back to this figure.

From first glance, I found it very unattractive. Proportion seems a bit off for me, and the sculpt is much more skimpier than the Ultraman figures in Tamashii Nations' UltraAct line... like anorexic skimpy. Articulation appears to be not different from a typical UltraAct or FiguArt figure... from three years ago!

I know I've been ranting a lot on this figure.
And I admit, part of the reason is that I just don't find Zone Fighter as fascinating as other fans do. In it's own right, this figure is neat, but it's just not for me.

2 comments:

  1. Zone Fighter is fantastic cheesy fun. It's great to see the Godzilla, Gigan and King Ghidorah suits in action one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing beats the Shape of dreams Marmit figure but it's great to see a New figure of this very under appreciated chapter in the life of Toho.

    ReplyDelete