Pages

Sunday 28 July 2013

Otaku Recon 2013 Review

Well, this is the second anime convention that I have attended, with the first being ChibiCon last November. I knew from early talks with friends that Recon was a much bigger event that ChibiCon, so I decided to go full out! Instead of a select few figures from my S.H. MonsterArts collection, I chose to bring the entire haul (minus King Kong) as well as my Revoltech Evangelion collection and NECA's first wave of Pacific Rim figures.

My EVA display was present for both days unlike my MonsterArts set

The Recon Experience for me began on Friday afternoon when I was asked to come down to the mall where we were having the event to set up our displays. I hauled a huge Home Depot box and a couple of tote bags filled with figure boxes! It was certainly a workout carrying them to and from my car - the display area was in a convention hall on the second floor. There, I ran into some old friends. While setting up, I definitely made some new friends as well. While much of the display was focussed primarily on Gundam, and Muv-Luv models and figures, I couldn't help but add a certain spark to the booth when it came to showing off the marvelous S.H. MonsterArts figures. By 7:30pm we were done setting up. After sitting to a pizza dinner with my fellow collectors, we all went home and rested for the following day.

NECA's Pacific Rim figures were the bell of the ball!

Recon began at noon on Saturday. Almost immediately we had dozens of people checking out our exhibit. I was surprised how much attention the MonsterArts figures received as well as the Pacific Rim figures. Many people were unaware that toys were made for the movie, but after seeing NECA's work and the efficiency in pricing, I think a lot of people are now interested in ordering these figures and whatever else comes out! MonsterArts received equally as much attention as well. With the new movie coming out next year, people are quite stoked to see the Big G back on the silver screen and done faithfully. There were a good number who had a great deal of knowledge on the Godzilla series, and a couple who were truly fans like myself. By the end of the day, at least 100 people managed to stop by our booth to take a gander at our awesome figure and model collections! One of our highlights as a whole was towards the end of the day where many of us at the display booth broke out into song with "I'll Make a Man out of You," from Disney's Mulan. I regret not catching that on video.

Some of the AMAZING custom Gundam models featured at our booth

We started a 10:00am today, Sunday. I brought home my MonsterArts figures after Saturday's show, and brought in a new display made up of five of my 25cm X-Plus figures: Godzilla '75, Anguirus '68, Mothra '61, Gigan '72, and MechaGodzilla '75. Today was not as busy as yesterday. However we did get a lot of viewers. Much of the day involved the guys and I to get into some mischief and play around with animal sound effects on the speakers. Sure we came off as dorks, but it was fun and at a convention such as this, how can we take it seriously? Anyways, regardless to that, a lot of the attention my stuff was getting was directed towards the Pacific Rim figures. With the movie being such a huge hit here on Guam, it's no surprise that a lot of people have taken a liking and appreciation towards NECA's figures.

The ever-so-popular Hatsune Miku with fellow Nendroids!

Anyways, there's not much else to say. Unfortunately I was unable to attend the cosplay, dubbing, video game, nor singing contests that also took place at Recon. However, from what I heard, they were pretty amazing. Also guests Vic Mignogna, the English voice actor for Edward Elric from Full Metal Alchemist, and Reuben Langdon, voice of Dante from Devil May Cry 3 & 4, were simply amazing! They interacted a lot with the fans and visited our displays. I wish I could've had more time to meet with them personally, but I didn't want to abandon our display booth for too long. There's always next year, and the next set of guests!

Me doing my best Kaiju impression!

So to finish off, please visit our Facebook page to see the rest of the pictures of our display and the display from my fellow GUAMPLA Builders at Otaku Recon 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment