Pages

Thursday 20 June 2013

Figure Review: Ultra-Act Ultraman Jack


Wow, it's been a really long time since I last acquired and Ultra-Act figure, eh?

So, I got the Ultra-Act Ultraman Jack action figure earlier this afternoon. This figure was originally released back in March. Ultraman Jack first appeared in the third Ultra series, The Return of Ultraman, and has made various appearances in the franchise since then. I have not seen the said series yet, but I certainly hope Shout Factory acquires the rights to release the series in North America eventually. Anyways, without further ado, let's get on with this review!


The Ultra-Act Ultraman Jack comes in the typical silver/red packaging for figures that make up the Ultra-Brothers. The box is the same size as any other packaging for figures in this line.


Initially, I had expected Jack to have the same sculpt for last July's Ultra-Act Ultraman (Renewal Ver.) but I was dead wrong. Jack's sculpt pretty different actually. It has a bit more muscle (not as excessive as Father of Ultra) and attempts to recreate the suit's appearance. Detailing is pretty good as well. There are very subtle shades across the body to help express certain details like muscles. The pattern on its body is accurate to the original suit as well.


Jack, like many other Ultra-Acts, has many points of articulation. Ball joints in the head, neck, shoulders, torso, core, wrists, thighs, and ankles. Then there are hinge joints in the elbows and knees. This allows the figure to have a wide range of poses. Articulation in the thighs is much better than last July's Ultraman (Renewal Ver.). They're pretty sturdy and the figure can indeed stand without the assistance of a base.

Accessories for this figure are quite various as well! Besides the choices in alternate hand gestures, Jack comes with the Ultra Bracelet, as seen in the image above.


He also comes with a 'slugger' like object. In the show, this item is formed by the Ultra Bracelet, which can also form:


The Ultra-Lance, one of Jack's significant weapons.


A cross-like lance. I honestly don't know the name of this particular lance.


And the Ultra-Shield, which I find one of Jack's coolest accessories!


To round out the accessories, like every other Ultraman, Jack comes with an effect part for his most iconic attack, the Specium Ray.


Since Jack is part of the Ultra Brothers, he is compatible with the Brothers Mantle, which can be bought separately (though I only have one unfortunately). The mantle can easily be connected to the figure by removing a slot cover on the upper back and inserted the mantle into it. With the Brothers Mantle, Jack looks a lot bigger and imposing in my opinion. I hope to acquire a few more mantles for the Ultra-Act Ultraman Ace (which is being re-released in August) and September's Ultra Seven (Renewal Version). 


Overall, I find the Ultra-Act Ultraman Jack a far superior figure when compared to last year's Ultraman (Renewal Version). I have not (yet) purchased Zoffy, Ace (when it was first released) nor Father of Ultra, so it's hard for me to make a fair comparison to recent releases. However, for what it is, I love it! I have it displayed with the renewal Ultraman right now. All I need to complete the Brothers collection is Ace, and Seven (Renewal Ver.), which I have reserved and then Taro, and Zoffy, which I still have to purchase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment