Pages

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Kaiju Toy Review - X-Plus Toho 30cm Series Titanosaurus


It's about time X-Plus showed Titanosaurus some love! Here is my review of X-Plus' latest figure, the Toho 30cm Series Titanosaurus. I picked this up at the post office earlier this morning. I was so excited to get him. Mostly because Titanosaurus is one of my absolute favorite monsters in the Godzilla series. Once I returned home, I immediately opened it up! The box design is perhaps one of my favorites. The red and orange colored on the box really bring out Titanosaurus' design on the cover. It's pretty awesome.


After carefully opening the box, there was Titanosaurus, securely fastened into its molding in two pieces - the main body, and tail. Like with any other X-Plus figure, I carefully untwined the wiring in the back, releasing the parts. I took my aunt's hair dryer and heated up the vinyl on the tail piece and inserted it into the main figure, and bippity-boppity-boo, the figure was complete!


The figure in person looks absolutely marvelous! I was so thankful that the paint job was not as extravagant as what was seen in the prototype images. The colors are more subtle as they were on the actual suit. The antenna, which were perhaps the most controversial design aspect of the figure aren't actually that bad. They suit the figure despite them not being suit accurate. Titanosaurus stands well over a foot tall, taller than July's Varan, and June's Godzilla '89 (see the final photo for reference).


The detailing on this figure is breath taking. All the bulbous bumps on Titanosaurus' body are sculpted and painted flawlessly, and the fins have a nice yellow and orange gradient. The chest area, and abdomen are nicely detailed as well. 


For one thing, Titanosaurus may be the best figure in the 30cm series to be released this year. It really stands out amongst the crowd with its magnificent color scheme. Personally, I'm going to rate Titanosaurus a 5/5 star rating. It's a great figure, and one that any collector should think about obtaining if they don't already have it yet. 


As I vowed, Titanosaurus will be the last 30cm figure that I'll be buying from X-Plus indefinitely. However, I will still buy any figure from the 25cm series that I find worthy though. By the first or second week of October I should have both X-Plus' upcoming 25cm Godzilla 1968, and Anguirus 1968 in hand! 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on such a great find! The overall presentation is stunning and flawless. I think it's amazing how Titanosaurus is one of the most popular Showa monsters at least outside of Japan. What aspects made this monster on top of your list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you purchase this guy? Amazon lists him at $400+ (not going to happen) and Hobby Search has him at $182 however I'm not sure how reliable their site is or weather or not he's even in stock (the website is poorly translated). Here's a link: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10190927

    ReplyDelete