Pages

Wednesday 18 July 2012

Kaiju Toy Review - X-Plus Toho 30cm Series Godzilla 1989

Well, I've been waiting for almost two months, and finally it's here.

The X-Plus Toho 30cm Series Godzilla 1989.

I had to go to a doctor's appointment earlier for very minor surgery (don't ask), but on the way home I stopped and picked this bad boy up from the mail. Let me say that X-Plus is always a knockout when it comes to their boxes. They're simple, but the presentation is always cool and gives off a vibe that says that this figure isn't a child's toy.


The figure requires a bit of assembling. It is separated into three different parts. First you have the main body, then next is the tail, the last is the last four inches of the tail. I was made away weeks ago by someone that the sockets for where the tail piece is inserted is quite small. That person was right! This figure was - pardon the language - a bitch to put together. I was sweating bullets by the time I finished. Thankfully I did not have to result in cutting or glueing anything. 


Despite the hard time I had actually putting it together, this figure is pretty well sculpted and detailed. From the double rows of teeth, to the tree bark-like skin, to the patches of skin on the dorsal fins, this figure is one of the best Godzilla figure's I've ever acquired. Take note that this is my FIRST X-Plus Godzilla figure, so I have nothing else in my collection to compare it to. To my delight, there is actually one part of the figure where there is articulation, the jaw. You can either display the jaw partially closed (it doesn't close all the way due to the double rows of teeth), or you can display it wide open. The latter I prefer because it just makes Godzilla look absolutely fierce!

Closed
Open
This figure is definitely a lot better than my last X-Plus figure purchase. The Godzilla 1989 design is one of my favorite incarnations of the character and I am just so happy that I can finally have a faithful representation of the design in my collection. With this, I only have two more 30cm X-Plus figures I'm waiting for - Varan, and Titanosaurus. I also intend to purchase the upcoming 25cm Anguirus 1968 and Godzilla 1968 as my final two X-Plus figures for a while. To wrap things up, out of a full rating of 5, my rating for this figure is 4.5/5.

Skreeonk!


No comments:

Post a Comment